Wednesday, January 16, 2013
5 Tips for Successful Container Gardening
If you don't have any garden space but still want to grow your own food, you might want to try your hand growing food in pots and other containers. Here are five quick tips to more successful container gardening.
1. Water more frequently than you would a regular garden, especially if your pots are Terracotta.
2. If you use a granular fertilizer vs. a liquid, fertilize more than you would in a regular garden. If you are watering frequently the water is going to wash out nutrients once they become part of the soil solution.
3. Use a potting mix that has real soil in it. Preferably a mix of topsoil and compost.
4. Cover dark colored plastic pots with burlap coffee bean sacks. This helps to keep the roots cooler during hot summer months, which can get scorched in the sun.
5. Grow plants that produce a lot of fruit for the size of plant (peas, beans, tomatoes) or quick cut and come again salad greens (lettuce, arugula, chard, kale). This helps you maximize on your real estate. Large, single harvest crops like cabbage and broccoli aren't worth growing in pots.