I brought the bin outside because I know composting worms don't like light. When I opened the lid and started messing around, they idea was they would migrate to the bottom of the box and I could harvest the castings on top. I have also been keeping their food on one side of the bin so they would be less likely to hang out on the other side, thus facilitating harvest of castings. Or so I thought.
|castings on one side, food on the other|
I just scooped it out and placed it around the strawberries- pretty haphazardly. The water soluble nutrients will be released and made part of the soil solution when I water, the rest will require a little more work on the part of the plant. But that is a story for another day...
|strawberry with worm castings placed around base|
After the top shelf of the palette garden was done, I decided to dig deeper in the bin and harvest more castings for the next two shelves. Then I discovered I had a lot of worms hanging out on the side I wasn't feeding them on.
|adult worms mingling on the "wrong" side of the bin|
|worm wrangling at it's finest|
|new bedding, and the world is back to normal|